Greenscape

Dean Forrester had the ultimate life. He had money, he had women, he never paid taxes and most of his days were spent playing golf and drinking for free. He was prepared to live out the rest of his days like this - until one phone call from home ruined it all.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Special Forces

Special Forces is up, a side story about James taking Dre home after she has met up with Dean and the old gang at a mini golf park. These side stories are probably sticky with spoilage, but they're working in a couple of ways. First, writing with substance takes practice ... yesterday had about 700 words, this one is about 1200. I wouldn't say Livingston was short as much as I'd say that I've thought more about the characters and how they feel. I'm employing what I call a tight third person perspective, which is a fancy english major way of saying that I cheat and occasionally tighten the focus of the narrative enough to one character that it almost sounds like first person for a while. Special Forces has a slice more meat to it because we get a little more into the heads of the characters on stage.

I'm having a bit of technical quandry though. I like this idea of publishing to webcosa for viewing, but apparently you can't have a whole novel available online without, like, essentially foregoing all possibility of publication. Don't get me wrong - I don't think Greenscape would ever see a publisher, but I wouldn't mind entertaining the possibility. So I want to make a viewer tool in PHP with some kind of access control.

Anyway - that spoilage. Probably can't be helped. I'm picking these side stories specifically as key points of the story to help flush them out without actually writing those points. All I can say is - Greenscape isn't about the plot, it's about the characters. I will try to keep something ambigious, but if you read the side stories up until Nov 1, you'll probably now a lot what's going to happen in the novel itself.

Assuming, of course, it gets written and finished...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home