Greenscape

Dean Forrester had the ultimate life. He had money, he had women, he never paid taxes and most of his days were spent playing golf and drinking for free. He was prepared to live out the rest of his days like this - until one phone call from home ruined it all.

Friday, November 19, 2004

Donkey Years

No excerpt for that phrase yet, a manager here at work used it and I think I must toss it in somehow. Tonight is going to be a big push to try and compensate for the almost certainly unproductive weekend. Just over 31k right now, and the goal for Sunday would be 35,700. That means tonight I should top 35k, probably shoot for 37k. As much as I like Nano, part of me hates being so word focused - but I think it's good exercise. When someone reads something or watches something, they definately take the length and breadth into account for what they expect. And without this challenge, I'd probably never have tried anything over a short story.

In general, Nano has been pretty nifty. Removing the internal editor from a group of people and just letting them go crazy in the effort to write just something is a great idea. I like the almost complete absence of critique and the almost sugary cheerleading choir that takes it's place.

Probably my only peeve is people who seem to need to explain their method of writing really fast as actually avante garde or too post-modern for most people to grasp. That's just annoying. It's one thing to declare that you aren't using basic sentence structure because you're simply trying to get a lot of words out, it's another to announce that sentences are the chains of the working class and evolved languages will no longer need them.

Just saying, is all.

Anyway, tune in tonight if you're home on a Friday and are bored enough to find out how my night went.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home