Greenscape

Dean Forrester had the ultimate life. He had money, he had women, he never paid taxes and most of his days were spent playing golf and drinking for free. He was prepared to live out the rest of his days like this - until one phone call from home ruined it all.

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I am Dean's inner thoughts

I'm going to end up slacking the curve today, I can tell. I'm probably about 500 words shy of keeping up the average, but with elections and work there isn't nearly as many bits of downtime to string together into novelization. Today I have fully abused the tight third person I've been using. Here is an example:


Dean strode out to the front of River Mountain Country Club. The front of the club was a mock cabin with halves of logs stuck to the outer wall to give the appearance that the whole building had been constructed overnight by porcelain dwarves that somehow seemed absent from the lawn. Trees had been transplanted in around the front lawn to justify the look although from the main door to the parking lot there lacked a single tree of girth that would have assisted in the fake construction. The illusion of the rugged outdoors was further detracted by the clearly hastily added disabled ramp, mandated by the state when the Club decided to add a new automated dumbwaiter to the second floor, which was made of a shiny form of metal that the porcelain dwarves would never have had access.


Clearly the whole presence of invisible porcelain dwarves that may or may not be responsible for creating a faux log cabin isn't what one would consider to be objective positioning. The last time I used/abused this narrative the main character was crazy. It will be interesting to see if it works on a semi-reliable character. It it does, it should provide the kind of angle on Dean's life I'm looking for. If not, it will waste most of the free time of a month of my life.

EDIT: Upon re-reading that quote, I am quite aware of the atrocious grammar in the last sentence. December is going to be a long month too, I think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home